Follow us:


  •  News & Announcements


    You Are Not Required to Accept a Buyout

    A business is offering payments to induce tenants of rent-controlled apartments to move. YOU ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO ACCEPT.  Nor does the law allow you to be harassed, bullied, or pressured into accepting. If you are considering accepting such a payment, you should realistically evaluate whether it is sufficient to cover the long-term loss of a controlled rent.


    NOTE: The Rent Control Board will be holding a public hearing at the February 12th Board Meeting regarding adopting a regulation requiring landlords to file "buy-out agreements" with the Rent Control Board.  For more information, see the Staff Report (included as a link) at Item 11 on the meeting's Agenda.



    Online PaymentPay Your Bill Online

    You may now pay your registration fee bill online by using your credit card or an electronic transfer from your checking account. Click here or on the 'Online Bill Pay' image to access the website where you can set up an online payment. There is a 2.5% convenience fee to use the service for your credit card or a $0.35 convenience fee for the service to pay by electronic check. These convenience fees are charged by the companies we contract with for these services.  You will need the bill from Rent Control for necessary payment information, as well as your bank's routing number and your account number for payment by check, or your credit card number for payment by credit card.

    Warning: If you elect to make an eCheck payment, in order to receive a receipt you must have your popup blockers disabled. If you do not get a confirmation receipt after submitting your payment, do not submit another payment. Please contact the Rent Control Agency during business hours at 310-458-8751 to verify if payment was received.


    Rent Control Chairperson Todd Flora recently went before the City TV cameras to prepare a short, informative video about the work of the Rent Control Board. Click on the following link and get a behind-the-scenes view of the agency's day-to-day work and recent developments. Rent Control Boards & Commissions Video

    Vacancy Unit Registration FormThe Vacancy Unit Registration Form is Now Available Online!

    Until now, the Rent Control Board has required owners to register new tenancies on a 3-part multicolored form that was only available from our office. Now, a single-page form can simply be downloaded for this purpose. Much of the form can be filled out online using your keyboard, but since the Rent Control Law requires a statement signed under penalty of perjury, owners must print out and sign the completed form and then mail it or bring it to Rent Control. Traditional, 3-part forms are still available for those who want them, but to get one right away, use this link to download the Vacancy Unit Registration Form from the following page.
     emailElectronic Communications Sign-Up

    In keeping with the goals of a sustainable Santa Monica, the Rent Control Agency is giving people who receive communications from the Agency the option of having future communications that are available electronically delivered by email.  To sign up to receive Rent Control communications electronically, click here to access a sign-up form.


City of Santa Monica © 2015

1685 Main St., Santa Monica, CA 90401 · (310) 458-8411 · TTY (310) 917-6626